Leigh is in the midst of school holidays at the moment and has been spending most of her time putting my paltry domestic efforts to shame.
There’s the veggie garden (which, sadly, has lost quite a few seedlings thanks to a scorching hot day this week), the making-of-stuff, and the cooking. Just a few of the things she’s conjured up in the past few days:
– hot nectarine pickle to eat with curries (the recipe is for hot peach pickle, which is nice and alliterative, but nectarines were cheaper)
– three-fruit marmalade
– walnut and home-grown basil pesto
– onion, garlic and home grown tomato pasta sauce (we served it over fettucine with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a few shavings of parmesan and it was awesome)
– pea and ham soup made with leftover Christmas ham
– pumpkin, zucchini and onion bread. This was a little too moist and heavy so it was revised today, without the zucchini but with the addition of oats and pumpkin seeds. Yummy!
– hand made three cheese tortellini served with the basil and walnut pesto
I imagine living with leigh is much like having a personal chef, except that a personal chef would cost more and do less cooking in her pyjamas.